Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Getting 10 choices on a PC that doesn't have the problem

*I have had people tell me that on their working machine they've gotten my "10 choices" to pop up. From what I can tell this is caused by making the floppy, and then opening the floppy and double clicking fixntldr.bat file in a computer that doesn't have the problem. You'll only want to run this in the computer that is having a problem booting.
*Oddly I also had someone make the floppy, then test it on a machine that wasn't having the problem, and then after they removed it, got the "NTLDR is missing" error message. Apparently when they booted up a good computer, it booted from a previous dual install, which somehow set the IDE drive they had to active and would no longer try to boot from the SATA drive. This user solved it by removing the IDE drive. So just FYI, only use the floppy to boot systems with the error message.
*I got this email 1 day ago, but I'm still not sure what is going on:
After recently experiencing a corrupted MBR, I tried Microsoft's buitlin "fixes" unsuccessfully.

Searching for a resolution to this error, I came across your article, and fixntldr.exe.

Fortunately, I was running dual hard disks, both with w2k installed, so I just swapped cabling, reinstalled programs, and I was up again. But I still need files off the damaged hard drive.

Recovery Console "fixmbr" wound up not fixing it, and "fixboot" wound up creating a fat16 boot sector on a fat32 drive!

After downloading your fixntldr.exe and creating the floppy from it, I've now found that the execution of it to create the floppy also destroyed my replacement hard drive!!!Now it won't boot, instead going into your routine!!!!

I didn't expect anything to install on my hard drive, just the floppy. Right now I am running a Windows Repair in the hopes I can get my good drive back.

What went wrong, and how do I fix it? I don't want resident "fixes" on my good hard drive.

*I replied back a few hours later:
Can you call me? *I included my number*

I can call you instead if you like (I have free long distance).

I'm not 100% sure where the ntldr fix went wrong so I'll ask you a couple of questions.

Did you have a floppy drive in the machine at all?

On the screen you get with the 10 choices, can you choose one and it boot?

Did you download the executable for win xp or the floppy for win 2k?

*I got this response 15 hours ago, just so everyone know's, I'm in Phoenix AZ right now, I just have a phone # from Texas. All that being said, I send the previous email around 5pm Eastern Time:
As you are in Texas and I am on the east coast, I'll reply here for now.

I'm not sure what, if anything, remains resident on my new hard drive fromyour program, but I was able to get w2k to boot, after noticing my "Windows2000" as the first option, followed by your "try this" list. I then editedthe boot.ini file to remove your list, and re-booted, but since I had usedthe "Repair" method, my Windows reverted back to the original installversion, so now I am trying to get it all updated again.

In answer to your question, yes, I did have a floppy inserted, and yes, yourprogram created your "boot" floppy (which I obviously haven't tried yet),but it also created the new "boot.ini" file on my hard drive, which I wasn'texpecting. I don't know if any other files were affected.

My goal right now is to get back to where I was before downloading yourfile, not easy since I've already encountered a Windows Update error.

I still have my original problem of a (now slave) fat32 drive with a fat16boot sector.

*I replied back 12 hours ago:
Between the complexities of the system and the difficulties we've had thus far, I would recommend:
1. Do an off-site backup of your most important information. (Email yourself tax records, put wedding pictures on a thumb drive, etc)
2. Buy an external hard drive (or use one you may already have) and backup the content of both hard drives.
3. If the operating system/programs of the computers are so unique that they would be difficult to recreate, you might invest in some drive imaging software and make a "snapshot" or "image" of both hard drives. And back them up to the external hard drive.
4. Gather your windows install cd's and product keys.
5. Full format and reinstall.

*And then this email immediately a few minutes afterward:
I can try and provide any assistance after 7pm Pacific Time. Phone #: *I include my phone #*

*I got a "read receipt" 1 hour later

No comments: