Saturday, February 9, 2008

Boot disk worked but now need to get into Linux install

*Got this email 5 days ago:
First, I want to thank you for your ntldr is missing solution. You really saved my bacon with it. I'd donate if I could, but tuition is due, and I'm a starving college student. I do have a follow up question though. I have two hard drives, one of which is my Windows XP drive, and the other is an Ubuntu drive. With your solution, Windows loads first, as it is the primary drive, but the option does not appear to load linux in the boot options. I was wondering if you had any insight into that issue. Thank you for your time and your excellent solution.

*My response:
I found this online:
Recovering a Lost LILOIf you reinstall DOS or Windows after installing LILO, you may findthat the LILO: boot prompt no longer appears. This might also occur ifcertain disk utilities or anti-virus utilities attempt to "repair"your master boot record. (Some anti-virus programs will see LILO as avirus!)
To fix this, you just need to reinstall LILO. That means you have toboot into Linux some other way, either using Loadlin or a Linux bootfloppy. (See Choosing a Boot Loader). At the Linux command prompt justtype /sbin/lilo as described under Applying Changes. When you reboot,LILO will be back where it belongs!
http://www.control-escape.com/linux/lilo-cfg.html
And they link to these boot loaders:http://www.control-escape.com/linux/bootload.html

No comments: