Sunday, February 24, 2008

Using USB device but still getting NTLDR is missing

*I've decided from now on that I'm going to have the emails I get be in "Emphasis" or "Italics" and my responses will be normal.
*I got this email 9 hours ago from a person that the USB boot device wasn't working for them:
Hi Miles,

I recently got directed to your site from LockerGnomes site in relation to NTLDR is Missing error that I get on boot up of my Acer Aspire laptop(thhis is due to me being an idiot and installing a registry cleaner and using it, altough I haven't deleted the files entirely, they are still in the recycle bin!)
I have tried using your advice to creat a copy from the link onto a usb disc(AS MY CD DRIVE IS NOT WORKING!), however I don't get to see a Windows 98 logo as suggested and it still reverts to the NTLDR is Missing message.
Do you have any other advice for me, it seems that my LAN connection is active when I plug it into my main computers wireless-g broadband router, if this may offer an option??

Many thanks


*I just sent this response:
Tell the gnome I said hi.

First check the section about "what if i don't see this screen": http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm#What_if_I_don't_see_this_screen?

While you are in the BIOS boot order menu, look for anything like "removable device" or "usb floppy" and put that before the hard drive in the boot order. If you don't see any reference to usb, it's possible your BIOS may not support usb booting. If we can't boot off usb, we'll either have to repair the cd-rom drive, or pull the hard drive out of the computer, and copy the files it needs to it, and put it back into the computer. (while it's out, do a backup).

It's also possible the USB boot device isn't working propertly. Try booting a different computer (for sake of simplicity, try to find a Windows XP computer with a single hard drive).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have almost the same problem. i stupidly deleted my ntldr, ntdetect, and some other things and after i restart, it shows 'ntldr is missing, press ctrl+alt+del to restart. unfortunately, my cd player is broken, so i used usb pendrive. it worked well until the 10 choices thingy. none of the choices worked. what should i do?

m said...

If you post anonymously, please send me an email so I can email you back: milescomer at gmail dot com

Unfortunately if you got the 10 choices and they didn't work, my boot disk solution might not be enough to boot back in. For my thing to work you still need a functioning system in c:\windows\system32

However, is it possible you named your windows folder something besides "windows" like possibly "winnt" or something like that?

If so, you can modify the boot.ini to have the new name, and then recreate the usb drive.

The good news is, your data is probably still fine. With the CD rom broken it sounds like it would be difficult to run the "Windows XP Repair Install" but that's usually what I'd have you do next, or pull the drive and copy the data.

Is it possible you could put the drive into a computer with a working cd-rom drive?

I suppose if you could do that you could fix your cd-rom drive easier.

Please let us know what happened.

Anonymous said...

I made a usb boot and got pass the error. But i get a screen listing all the file and says"windows couldnot start becazse the following file is missing or corrupt: WINDOWS\system32\Config\system "
What could this mean?

m said...

Try the second option, then try the third, etc.