Saturday, February 23, 2008

IDE drive keeps "fake RAID" drive from being booted with my disk

*Apparently if you have mixed technologies on multiple drives, it makes the "array" # to high for my boot disk. This person was able to get around it by removing the IDE drive.
*Got this email 7 days ago:
Hi,
I’d like to start by thanking you for allowing me to recover my XP installation – after a Vista install.

I followed the usb ntdlr replacement method…and it failed many times.

So, you might want to add, that anybody attempting to repair a boot for their ‘fake RAID’ drive, who already has an old IDE hard drive installed, might do well to consider removing the connections to the ide drive – as they usb ntdlr loader seemed to think the ide drive was the C: (which it was not). It was merely a backup drive, with a H: or whatever label.

So, when you remove the connections to it, the bios is not able to put this driver first and so the usb utility works just fine.

We learn everyday.
Keep up the good work.

*I responded later that day:
I'm curious, you mentioned "it failed many times". Does this mean that
one of the option later on down the list did the trick?

The "Try this 1st", etc options are designed to try the 1st hard drive
on 1 and 2; then the 2nd hard drive on 3 and 4; then the 3rd hard
drive on 5 and 6; then the 4th hard drive on 7 and 8.

On what # did you finally get it to boot?

*And then I got this response back later that day:
I had other errors too. After trying the 1st step, I got 'file missing'
(not ntdlr), and a suggestion that I should replace it.

I'm sure I made it to four or five, before remembering that I had that old
drive still connected.

On removing that drive, the 2nd attempt worked perfectely.

I have no end of trouble using an on-board raid solution sometimes. Eg my
Ericsson phone sw won't install because it cannot 'see' a C: (my last
on-board raid was a e: under windows). But that’s another storey.

Thanks again,

No comments: